Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, May 10, 2019

Hiroko Taniyama -- Hitomi no Eien(ひとみの永遠)


Usually my impression of a commercial jingle is that it's got a perky melody incorporating the name of the product in the lyrics. Nothing earth-shattering but also something that will linger in your mind for days...long enough for you to potentially buy the thing in a store.

Eye drops are something that I don't have although my parents do use them. I wouldn't say that it's a phobia but I've never been crazy about having to drop medicine onto my eyeballs. I would probably think a commercial for eye drops then has to have the perkiest and most earworm-y sing-song melody to get someone like me to plunk down my cash.


So I never expected to hear something so sweet and soothing grace this ad for Iris Eye Drops. This is "Hitomi no Eien" by singer-songwriter Hiroko Taniyama(谷山浩子)and violinist/arranger Neko Saito(斎藤ネコ)and it was her 21st single from September 1992. The title may be a bit of a pun on the word hitomi which means "eyes" and the girl's name Hitomi, so the translation of the title can be "Hitomi's Eternity" or "Eternity of the Eyes".

In any case, the song works. "Hitomi no Eien" is indeed soothing as any self-respecting bottle of eye drops should be as soon as the drops get plunked onto your suffering orbs. In fact, there is a certain sound effect in the song which may represent the drops themselves. However, words and music seem to suggest a far more sylvan setting where a young lady is living out in an old-fashioned lodge out in the forest simmering some hearty soup for guests. Iris is gentle on your eyes and "Hitomi no Eien" is gentle in your soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.