Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, November 21, 2022

Maron Hamada -- Taikutsu na Yoru wa Boogie wo(退屈な夜はブギーを)

 


Well, I gotta say that it's been a while since I've encountered a saucy jazz diva. I haven't heard very much recently from Ringo Shiina(椎名林檎)or Ego-Wrappin'. Recently though, I did come across a singer from Osaka by the name of Maron Hamada(浜田マロン)who's got the smoldering danger of Shiina and the brassy vocals of Yoshie Nakano(中納良恵)from Ego-Wrappin'. Plus, she has her own brand of sensual slinkiness kinda reminiscent of Mae West from nearly a century back.

The song from Hamada that I have here is her October 2013 release of "Taikutsu na Yoru wa Boogie wo" (Boogie for a Boring Night) which has Hamada fairly spitting out her vocals with a certain challenge to all comers while the music (and lyrics) by John Kurosaki(黒崎ジョン)has that rockabilly jazz twang and a boozy cabaret panache. I can pretty much smell the cigarette smoke, alcohol, sweat and tension. I even have the image of an old-fashioned speakeasy in my head as I listen to this.

Hamada has her own website. It doesn't have too much on her background, but it's got her discography dating back to 2011. And she just released a new single or EP last month titled "Let's Amen". On the site "Dead Grandma Blog", the singer's 2017 release "Lady Monochrome" was placed as one of the Top 20 albums of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.