Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, November 25, 2022

SHOGUN -- You Turn Me On

 

Yup, my first article today was Xmas-based as would be the case on any November 25th on KKP, but I haven't forgotten that it is also Urban Contemporary Friday. In a way, I guess that I was psyching myself up for this last night since I was listening to a string of my old City Pop favourites: Junko Yagami's(八神純子)"Jealous", Junko Ohashi's(大橋純子)"Nemurenai Diamond" (眠れないダイアモンド)and Fujimal Yoshino(芳野藤丸)& Haruko Kuwana's(桑名晴子)"Who Are You?".

While listening to that last one, I saw a video off to the side titled "You Turn Me On" by the band SHOGUN, which had Yoshino as a member. Knowing the group primarily for uptempo songs such as "Otokotachi no Melody"(男達のメロディー), I'd first assumed that a tune with a title of "You Turn Me On" would be something fairly funky and raunchy.

The English-language "You Turn Me On" is indeed upbeat but it isn't actually a sex machine of a song. It's actually a very sweet paean to the one the protagonist loves, and I can picture some fellow finishing up a long day at work heading back home to happily see his wife. With lyrics by Casey Rankin and lovely melody by Yoshino, it's a gently galloping New Music/City Pop sound with the typical synthesizer haze effect of 70s City Pop gone even more spacey. The arrangements were handled by Kazuo Otani(大谷和夫)with "You Turn Me On" included as a track on the band's debut self-titled album from June 1979. Not surprisingly, "Otokotachi no Melody" is also in there.

2 comments:

  1. Japanese lyrics:

    YOU TURN ME ON / SHOGUN, 1979 - SHOGUN
    ケーシー・ランキン 作詞 / 芳野藤丸 作曲 / 大谷和夫 編曲

    木曜の朝 僕は憂鬱な気分だ
    もう幾日かすれば 自由に向かう
    逆戻りして 家に帰るんだ

    金曜の夜 僕は旅立つ
    君に逢えるのには 後一日
    君のもとに車を飛ばして 家に帰る

    僕が落ち込んでいる時 君は救ってくれる
    僕が寂しい時 君は救ってくれる
    僕が騙された時 君は救ってくれる
    I love you

    燃えてる橋は 僕の後で崩れてく
    夢はドアから飛び出して
    気がついたら 愛は僕を捨て 勝手に消えた
    forever more
    //

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.