Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, November 11, 2022

Sara Takahashi -- Rhapsody(ラプソディー)

 

The above photo is of Marui Department Store in Shibuya. I rather miss that sparkly function on my old Casio camera; it sets the right note for City Pop Fridays on the blog.

At the end of September, I wrote up the first Sara Takahashi(高橋沙羅)article and it was for her second single "Savanna Kankaku"(サバンナ感覚)from March 1981. This was a heady concoction of City Pop, Mood Kayo, and Latin by composer Kisaburo Suzuki(鈴木キサブロ), arranger Masataka Matsutoya(松任谷正隆)and lyricist Rei Nakanishi(なかにし礼).

Well, I also found the B-side which is "Rhapsody". Suzuki and Nakanishi were behind the creation of this song, too, and although I couldn't find definitive proof of it, I'm assuming that Yuming's(ユーミン)husband was the arranger as well. This time, there's no real hint of Mood Kayo and the Latin beat is a bit more subdued though present, especially at the end. However, "Rhapsody" does feel like a City Pop tune with the added presence of sophisti-pop worthy of a stay at the Tokyo Prince. I do get vibes of Quincy Jones via "The Dude" album from the same year and the Manhattan Transfer when I hear this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.