Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, April 4, 2024

Hikaru Utada -- Keep Tryin'

 

I'll have to admit that I haven't really been focused on singer-songwriter Hikaru Utada's(宇多田ヒカル) discography in the last twenty-odd years. My favourite time regarding her singles and albums was really in the late 1990s and early 2000s when she first made the scene in J-Pop.

So I have to say when I saw the above video's thumbnail with Utada giving the winning big thumbs-up, I was like "Whoa! Have I seen this video of hers?". And the answer was invariably NO. In fact, I barely remember her 16th single "Keep Tryin'" from February 2006 aside from the fact that it was used for a KDDI commercial.

But I have to say that this music video for "Keep Tryin'", updated by Utada's own YouTube channel, really does pop with the old-school parts and the CG. In fact, I think it would make for a fine cousin to the video for the singer's earlier hit "Traveling" from 2001. I've taken a look at it twice already today and she gives another tour-de-force performance in all of her different guises; truly a paean to cosplay. And I think the song itself is one of encouragement for all those in the service industry, so pretty good timing here considering that April is the one month in Japan when all of those fresh faces enter the companies. The melody by Utada is also something that has now grown on me with those distinct chord changes. It's definitely not the usual pop song.

Ah, here's the commercial. I do remember seeing the dancing silhouette of the squirrel. "Keep Tryin'" hit No. 2 on Oricon and ended up as the 82nd-ranked single for 2006. But it was also the No. 1 song of the year for iTunes. It's also been included on Utada's June 2006 album "Ultra Blue" which did peak at No. 1 and was the No. 7 album of the year.

6 comments:

  1. The remastered MV's she's been releasing have been a nice treat. It's in celebration of her greatest hits album, "Science Fiction" being released next week. It includes two new songs and re-recordings of some of her older singles. Kinda reminds me of Namie Amuro's "Finally" album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there. When I was looking up the information on "Keep Tryin'", I read about "Science Fiction" coming out imminently. I'm interested in how those two songs sound.

      I remember years ago when Utada was considering taking a break from the limelight, and she said that she wouldn't mind giving up singing and become some sort of lab tech somewhere. Glad that she stayed around in the industry.

      Delete
    2. I am glad Uta Hikaru one of the if not the most famous American J-pop singers stayed around. Although with all the money she has made on the money she still gets from the sales of her music, she probably doesn't have to work if she doesn't want to. Yeah, her updated video does remind me of the one she did for traveling somehow. I wonder if she is remaking or updating the traveling MV, too?

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I saw the video for "Traveling" for the first time in years on YouTube. It definitely needs an upgrade.

      Delete
    4. Yes, "traveling" was also remastered, it looks great in 4K now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j2ZJAgdrGE

      Delete
    5. Ahh...nice and sharp! Many thanks!

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.