Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Linda Yamamoto -- Kuruwasetai no(狂わせたいの)

 

Well, the switch from cable TV Japan to Internet Jme has seen one major change in our viewing. I woke up at around 6:45 am this morning to turn on the computer to show my parents the newest episode of NHK's "Uta Con"(うたコン)which went live at 8 pm JST, some thirteen hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time. It's a new reality but still rather surreality to watch all of these singing stars bouncing around on the stage several minutes before getting my swig of orange juice and digging my spoon into the oatmeal. It used to be the thing to watch "Uta Con" during prime time. 

One of the guests was 73-year-old Linda Yamamoto(山本リンダ)doing her classic "Nerai Uchi"(狙いうち). Although she may not be quite the force of nature that she was back in the 1970s, she still amply illustrated that she'll always be far more active than I have been in the last thirty years as I oozed over my armchair, gradually waking up. Dang, she's got so much energy!

I've decided therefore to start up today's round of KKP articles with one for a song of hers that came before "Nerai Uchi" and after her big breakthrough hit of "Dounimo Tomaranai"(どうにもとまらない). Released in September 1972 as Yamamoto's 21st single, "Kuruwasetai no" (I Wanna Drive You Crazy), I've got a feeling that the lass wasn't trying to gaslight any guy according to that title; it's more of a siren enticing unsuspecting men to their doom or something else. 

Created by the same duo behind "Dounimo Tomaranai" and "Nerai Uchi", lyricist Yu Aku(阿久悠)and composer Shunichi Tokura(都倉俊一), "Kuruwasetai no" has that same bossy and beefy brass sound propelling things through in the same way that Yamamoto's hips seemed to gyrate out enough energy to light up a small town. The song did very well by peaking at No. 6 on Oricon.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my that sounds like a difficult change to get used to! I think it might be possible to tune into Jme.tv on a smart tv or with an amazon fire stick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Brian. Yes, Jme site states that an Amazon Fire Stick can be used to access it. For me though, it's been hooking up the laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable.

      I did find out that Jme has reruns of "Uta Con" at 9:05 pm my time so that can be a relief.

      Delete
    2. HDMI sounds very handy and a lot cheaper than buying a brand-new smart TV. But, I am sure it must be a frustrating adjustment for your parents and maybe your wallet, too.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, it's been an adjustment for all of us and at this point, I still prefer the old style but that's the way it is.

      Delete
  2. FYI I sought out this latest "Uta-Con" program, a show I'd never seen before. What a fabulous program -- it's like a mini NHK Kouhaku in less than an hour. And kudos to dear Linda, who's old enough to be the grandma of some of those girls along side her on stage. I might add: She doesn't look THAT much older than say, Hosokawa or even Kudo Shizuka for crissakes!

    Only thing that really didn't jazz me is NHK's choice of IKKO as... a designated cheerleader? Never did "get" her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Saburo. Good to hear from you again. Yeah, basically, "Uta-Con" is just like a mini-Kohaku. To think that Linda has been kickstepping it out of the park ever since I was born!

      Yeah, I think IKKO can be an acquired taste but the designated cheerleader label is an apt one for the tarento in general, although tarento usually don't show up on this particular show.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.