Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, April 18, 2024

Erika Ikuta -- Laundry

 

I was trying to search for a photo of my old Ichikawa apartment balcony with the washing machine outside, but I couldn't track it down. Therefore, I opted to have Kayo Grace Kyoku take the baton and give us one of her shots of her doing the laundry. Her place is so much more stylish.


Now, if the name Erika Ikuta(生田絵梨花)rings a bell, you're either a fan of Nogizaka 46(乃木坂46)of which she had been a member or you were into the whole "Beat de Tohi"(ビートDEトーヒ)thing last year. Well, she appeared on "Uta Con"(うたコン)a couple of days ago to perform her debut digital single "Laundry" which I believe was released last month. With words and music provided by Ikuta and Junji Ishiwatari also helping out in the lyrics department, "Laundry" was apparently inspired by some music entering Ikuta's head as she was staring at the washing machine one time. 

There's a lot of simple and clean fun listening to "Laundry" which is nice, light and airy...just like the scent coming off the clothes line after a wash. I do like the addition of jazz in there and I get reminded of some of the flair of singer-songwriter aiko when I listen to this. Her debut album, "capriccioso", was released about a week ago.

3 comments:

  1. Erika Ikuta sang ウィッシュ~この願い~ for last years Disney's 'wish' and I guess that was a pseudo-debut. People do Laundry all the time but I am not sure if many ever think write a tribute song to laundry. I like it cause it is kind of thinking outside of the box. OK, Okay I know the song isn't literally about laundry but it is fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Brian. I should be able to see Ikuta's take on "Wish" on YouTube but there will be no way that I will see it performed on Jme since apparently getting licensing from Disney to be allowed to show Disney performances by Japanese artists is too expensive. It's now usual for Muzak to be heard whenever any Mouse House music threatens to be played.

      Delete
    2. J-Canuck thanks for the explanation! I hadn't been thinking about all the complicated legal issues and this is yet another reason why Erika Ikuta's take on 'wish' can only ever be a pseudo-debut for her.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.