Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, April 4, 2024

Tears for Fears -- Change

 

As much as I was getting dazzled by Japanese pop music since the early 1980s, I was also in thrall to the songs coming in from America, Canada and the United Kingdom, especially the UK's brand of synthpop and New Wave.

The local music TV show "The New Music" on CITY-TV was one of my wonderful guides to what was happening in the music department at the time so I was privy to the electronic wonders of Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark and even Canada's Spoons. Plus, there were also the incredible and daring Eurythmics with "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" and the famous video.

I have often wondered why whenever I think of Eurythmics and "Sweet Dreams", the other British band Tears for Fears and "Change" come to mind. Well, as it turned out, both songs got their single release in January 1983. And I'm finally happy to get Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith onto KKP since much of their discography also formed my love for 80s music. As it turned out, "Change" was not the first single by Tears for Fears; they'd been releasing music since 1981 and a couple of their preceding songs arguably have more of a legacy as have a lot of their singles since "Change". Let's say that the Tears for Fears file on this blog will be a fairly long one in the Reminiscings of Youth part.

Still, why not "Change"? It's the first song and video that I've experience by Tears for Fears and despite Orzabal not being all that enthused about his creation, it's still a memorable tune with that percussive synth that starts it off and Smith's high-toned vocals. As well, that music video has the guys looking like an invasive New Romantic cult...with choreography. Up to that point, I hadn't seen a Noh mask used in anything outside of Noh plays, and I very rarely saw any of those. Seeing the video again some 41 years following its release, I felt like saying to the guys in there "Ah, you got the site wrong, guys. The 'Dune' set is over there!".


In Canada, "Change" hit No. 23 on the RPM chart while in the United States, it did a more modest No. 73 on Billboard. It did hit No. 4 in the UK. Bigger and better were coming for Tears for Fears though so no tears or fears here.

Now, I was going to put up the Top 3 on Oricon for January 1983 when "Change" came out, but I realized that I already had done so for Randy Newman's "I Love L.A." (which is also why I had to pivot when I did the ROY article for "Sweet Dreams"). Therefore, I offer No. 5, 6 and 7 from that Oricon list this time.

5. Masatoshi Nakamura -- Koibito mo Nureru Machikado (恋人も濡れる街角)


6. Toshihiko Tahara -- Love Spoor(ラブ・シュプール)


7. Warabe -- Medaka no Kyoudai (めだかの兄妹)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.