Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, April 5, 2024

Galali -- Sayonara wa Mayonaka ni(さよならは真夜中に)

 

I've often felt like what singer-songwriter Galali's(がらり)lyrics are saying...trying (but failing) to get to sleep while wallowing in the misery of what the next day might bring. The only thing is that I didn't get a modern groovy beat to accompany everything.

"Sayonara wa Mayonaka ni" (Goodbye at Midnight) was released as a digital single last November, and it's a nice slab of Neo-City Pop with that aforementioned groovy beat. It was written and composed by Galali with arrangement by Gento Miyano(宮野弦士)who has worked with acts such as Dance for philosophy. There is a nice little slow burn with "Sayonara wa Mayonaka ni" that finally pops into a bit of happy disco and a key change at the end. I could quite relate with those little black ghosts in the music video; I kinda think they popped out of an older Studio Ghibli movie.

I couldn't find a lot of information on Galali. But what I could glean was that he started his career in 2022 and amassed a lot of popularity via TikTok. For me, the only thing that disappointed me about "Sayonara wa Mayonaka ni" is its length. Just wished that it was several dozen seconds longer. Anyways, you can enjoy a brief look at a fellow named Dyson interpreting the song via En Dance Studio.

3 comments:

  1. hello! good to see your postings as you keep on uploading such great music! I'm here because now b/c I'm into lostwave these days, and there has been issues with the specific lostwave song that may be citypop music song.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHOr1eZQKps, which has been known as "everyone knows that" in reddit community.
    It's a short clip but koichi fujita recalls that he recorded this song around 1984-1988. if you have any clue with this song, please share your opininon. You're expert in this citypop field, so feel free to comment on this "everyone knows that" song

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, citypoper 234. It's been a while. I've actually never heard of lostwave so I'm gonna have to check that out. However, someone did contact me about "Everyone Knows That" a couple of months ago, so I put out an APB back then. Feel free to take a look at that one.

      https://kayokyokuplus.blogspot.com/2024/02/all-points-bulletin-name-that-tune.html

      Delete
  2. OH I see! thanks for your kindness in delving into this issue with us~! I'll keep on digging with this issue and see if there is any update in this issue later on ~ :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.