Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, April 5, 2024

Yukari Ito -- Saikai Restaurant(再会レストラン)

 

Another admission from me in that I didn't do the most comprehensive article on Yukari Ito's(伊東ゆかり)contribution to City Pop via her 1982 album "Misty Hour", but at the time I wrote about it in 2018, there wasn't a whole lot of representation of the CD on YouTube a few years back. However, I was able to cover a couple of tracks at least and "Sayonara" is still up there in its own article. "Sayonara" was the reason that I pulled the trigger on purchasing "Misty Hour" in the first place.

Another track that is getting its individual due is "Saikai Restaurant" (Reunion Restaurant) which is the penultimate song on "Misty Hour". A sentimental ballad about a couple of former lovers meeting up at an old rendezvous and perhaps relighting the flame once more, there is something 70s (maybe that Carpenters-friendly oboe) and 80s (the keyboard work) City Pop at the same time with this one. Machiko Ryu(竜真知子)was behind the lyrics while it is indeed Tetsuji Hayashi(林哲司)who came up with the lovely music. 

A reunion restaurant wouldn't be the one with the ex-girlfriend since if she's a wise person, she has forgotten about me completely. It would be the Indian place that my good friend took me out to back in 2017. That was some fine butter chicken they had there. Wouldn't mind an extra shot at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.