Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, April 1, 2024

Dream -- Get Over

 

Go – or chess in general – is not exactly my cup of tea. And yet one manga series that I return to again and again is Hikaru no Go. It is a coming-of-age story starring Hikaru Shindo, a boy who accidentally released the ghost of Fujiwara no Sai from his grandpa’s Go board. Sai was a Heian-era Go master who committed suicide after being (wrongly) blamed of cheating. Hikaru reluctantly took up to Go to appease the ghost haunting him, then gradually learnt to love the game and grew up both as a player and a person. Hikaru no Go is a quintessential sport manga, despite the action being very low-key and lacking the hot-blood you would expect in a Weekly Shōnen Jump series. I would argue that is exactly what drew so many Western anime fans to the series in the first place.


Of course, having a banger of an opening helped too. Hikaru no Go’s first opening song is Get Over by the idol trio Dream consisted of Matsumuro Mai (松室麻衣), Tachibana Kana (橘佳奈), and Hasebe Yu (長谷部優). They were the winners of a talent contest named avex dream 2000. Interestingly enough, Koda Kumi also cut her teeth at avex dream 2000 and came in second. All four of them signed with avex, with Dream debuted as an idol unit in 2000. It took six singles for them to finally crack the Oricon chart, with the sixth one My will also be the first ending song of Inuyasha. Get Over is Dream’s eleventh single and peaked at #12 on the Oricon chart.

Get Over is a fight song by all measures, with lyrics fill with recognition of pain and regret as an inevitable part of an arduous journey, but also hope that personal perseverance and friendship can help you overcome anything. Marry that to a catchy slow dance tune and you have a certified hit that can transcend the language barrier. Even if the listener do not know a lick of Japanese or Go rules, Get Over is sure to intrigue them enough to stay and watch Hikaru no Go, and maybe fall in love with the show just like how the protagonist fell in love with Go./.

5 comments:

  1. I tried to get into Go myself...even buying several guides on the game. Heck, I even bought the entire "Hikaru no Go" manga collection. But in the end, I just couldn't figure it out with all of the talk on making living vs. dead territory, true vs. false eyes, etc. As for "Get Over", there is something about the arrangement that hits me as being fairly Komuro-esque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fireminer here. Yes, Get Over does sound like Komuro, and now I'm punching myself for not realizing it in the first place. Also, you're not the only one giving up on Go. I'm not good at normal chess, but at least with it there are only so many options you can have at any turn. The number of options in Go is truly mind-boggling.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Fireminer and thanks for providing the article. There is something quite nostalgic when I listen to "Get Over" since I was living in the nation when the Komuro Steamroller was doing its thing in Japanese pop culture.

      Not good at any games. I simply don't have a tactical or strategic mind and I'm not one of those people who can think two or three moves ahead. One of those Go guides stated that the number of potential moves in a typical game could outnumber the number of atoms in the universe. Not sure if I even want to partake in a game like that now. Still, it was soothing to the point of taking a catnap when I watched the weekly NHK games.

      Delete
  2. I hope there will be a future entry for "My Will," that's my introduction to the group and it's a great song. The group itself has had an interesting history before they disbanded.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.