The above is a Very Berry Shake that I got at a place called Petit Potato. It was indeed very flavorful and thirst-quenching. However, the theme isn't on the contents but the container. Early this year, I came up with an Author's Picks called "Substance Kayo" which focused on those kayo titled with various substances. But then, I realized after writing up one recent article and remembering a couple of oldies that I'd written early in this blog's history that a subset can be made of kayo kyoku containing the word "glass" in their titles. As such, let me start this Tuesday edition of KKP with some glass kayo.
(1977) Yujiro Ishihara -- Brandy Glass (ブランデーグラス)
(1981) Jun Horie -- Memory Glass(メモリーグラス)
(1983) Seiko Matsuda -- Glass no Ringo (ガラスの林檎)
(1997) Kinki Kids -- Garasu no Shonen (硝子の少年)
(2009) Cheuni -- Glass no Tokyo Tower(ガラスの東京タワー)
Wow, the Kinki Kids iconic song "Garasu no Shonen" is Kayōkyoku? I guess I hand not really thought about it and had lumped this song in with J-pop. This song was always on the radio and being performed on tv back when I first visited Japan. Listening to it opens a flood of memories.
ReplyDeleteHello, Brian. I hadn't been thinking too deeply when I came up with the title for the article, but having said that, I think "Garasu no Shonen" has a touch of that old kayo style in there.
DeleteI think this song could represent a kind of musical transition period between Kayōkyoku and modern J-pop like the stuff Arashi put out.
DeleteI'm not sure if it represented more of an actual transition period; perhaps it was just because Tatsuro Yamashita was behind its composition. To me anyways, the transition between kayo and J-Pop occurred in the late 1980s.
Delete