The above shows some of us on Deck 16 of the Harmony of the Seas on the second morning of our cruise several years ago. It was a pleasant start to our first full day on the ship with a hearty breakfast to greet us.
Maybe this was a feeling that jazz musician and composer Himiko Kikuchi(菊池ひみこ)was having when she came up with the wonderfully breezy "Everyday's a Miracle" from her 1981 "Flashing" album. Ernie Watts was on the saxophone for this travel-friendly or brunch-friendly track that pretty much sounds how the title reads. It's like a glass of optimism for the weary soul. If every morning can be as positive, then life would be that much more pleasing.

It would seem that one, two, or more songs featured on Kayo Kyoku Plus today come from 1981. Is there anything in particular from 1981 that you might be reminiscing about? Or is this all just a lucky coincidence? But okay I should get back on task. Himiko's album "Flashing" from which today's song comes from seem to be a more polished fusion featuring expressive keyboard work. What do I mean by that? Great question I am glad you asked me. What I mean is that it has a crisp rhythmic precision, rich jazz chord voicings, a singing of melodic lines rather than flashy runs, and tasteful synthesizer textures that support, rather than dominate, the music
ReplyDeleteNope, it's a coincidence. I usually don't write about two songs from the same year in one day but Himiko's song was on the back burner for a while, and I got really drawn to Asaka's song today.
Delete