Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

PSY-S -- Kisses


"Kisses" by PSY-S was not the first song by the dynamic duo that I'd heard and seen. I think that honour went to "Asobi ni Kite ne"(遊びにきてね) on Japan's MTV a few months previously, but "Kisses" was the one that really got my attention. I saw CHAKA and Masaya Matsuura(松浦雅也) perform it on an NHK Xmas special back in late 1990 when the duo's 14th single was released back in September of that year.

Now, judging by the cover of the CD single above, I gather that it wasn't really meant as an Xmas tune per se. However, by just seeing PSY-S perform it on a Xmas-ish set on a Xmas special with Matsuura's magically jaunty and first-snow fresh melody pulsing along, "Kisses" just ended up imprinting itself in my brain as a Xmas tune, although I would later find out that the duo already had their official Xmas contribution in the can some years back.


Strangely enough, I did find that NHK performance right above (sorry but that video has been taken down). PSY-S did have that unique fashion sense, and I gotta say Matsuura's zoot suit brought back a lot of memories of what was indeed fashionable during that turn of the decade. As for "Kisses", it is included in the duo's 6th album, "Signal".


And on that note, I wish you all the best for a Merry Christmas 2013. May you get plenty of your own kisses under the mistletoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.