Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Kazumasa Oda -- Moon River


I was finally glad to track down Kazumasa Oda's (小田和正)cover of "Moon River" on the Net since rumour has it that it was because of his listening to the Henry Mancini classic on a record or through a viewing of "Breakfast at Tiffany's" that he was nudged into a career in music. If anyone can deny/confirm that for me, I'd be eternally grateful.

In any case, when I listened to Oda's short-and-sweet version at the end of his 2nd solo album, "Between the Word & the Heart" (March 1988), I was just touched by his vocals although I think having something warmer and more organic than the standard synths would've been better. But if those rumours are indeed true, then we can all thank the man behind "The Pink Panther" and "Peter Gunn", if indirectly, for years of wonderful Off Course songs and Oda's solo efforts including "Love Story wa Totsuzen ni".



And hey, let's show what Oda may have seen and been inspired by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.