Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 2, 2016

All-Points Bulletin: Name This Tune "City Pop at Xmas"


Although I haven't had any correspondence with the YouTube uploader, Samael Van de Ven, I'm just as curious as to the title and singer of this short but sweet tune. It has a nice and mellow City Pop vibe but for the life of me I cannot positively identify the male singer although the voice sounds similar to that of Makoto Matsushita(松下誠). From the sound, it may be a late 80s/early 90s concoction.

Like all articles on "Kayo Kyoku Plus", this will get over to Mixi, Facebook, Google Plus and Twitter but I will also make an extra plea on Mixi.


4 comments:

  1. Hi J-Canuck,

    Happy early holiday season. Just dropping by quickly to say hi. Can't say my life lets me get on internet often, but I do come by your blog from time to time. The tune in question is "New York-Review" by Piper from their 1985 album "Lovers Logic". That album is an impressive AOR gem in my opinion. You can verify the song by the preview and listen to the others here: https://www.amazon.co.jp/LOVERS-LOGIC-%E7%B4%99%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%82%B1%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E4%BB%95%E6%A7%98-PIPER/dp/B000JLSVFG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, nikala.

      Good to hear from you. Hope married life has been agreeing with you.:)

      Thanks very much on the information on this former mystery song. I just sent the message to Samael. The song is enticing enough that I may even get the album if it's still available.

      I realize that you're busy now but if you ever have a chance to put up something again, you are always welcome.

      Delete
  2. Hello everyone. My apologies for the late reply. For anyone interested Lovers Logic is already ripped:

    http://jpop80ss.blogspot.com/search?q=PIPERパイパー&m=1

    I actually had ordered the CD sometime back because I am such a huge fan of the group, but after the rip dropped I canceled the order. I have done hours of research on them gathering photos and downloading and archiving other bits of media and info. All of their work is of great quality and really exemplifies city pop and the beach scene of that day. They are severely underrated.

    FYI
    4/5 of Piper's albums have been ripped, only one (I'm Not In Love) remains undigitized. If you or anyone else has it please make it available. It's hard to find for sale online and whenever it does come up it's at an inflated price. The record can be procured in Japanese stores for around 2700yen, but is sold for far more in US/international markets.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dock, for the information. I tried to check out the information for the Piper albums on the page you listed but somehow got hit with a spam announcement when I went to the "MG" which forced me to reboot.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.