Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Yuki Saito -- Yume no Naka e (夢の中へ)


NOTE: I finished writing this post before finding out J-Canuck had already done it many years ago. However, as it was done and ready, I decided to post it as a “Follow-Up”. To see J-Canuck’s original post, just click here.

Recently, while researching Oricon’s Top 100 singles from 1989, Yuki Saito’s (斉藤由貴) “Yume no Naka e” just popped as one of my final highlights from that year in the female aidoru segment.

Yuki Saito’s catalogue is one I still have to discover. I remember listening to her debut album “AXIA” and finding it very good, but it’s been many years since I last listened to it. Unfortunately, I only remember a couple of her classic songs, such as “Sotsugyou” (卒業) and “Shiroi Honoo”, and I admit it’s a shame since “Yume no Naka e” sounds so nice.


There’s something very unpretentious about this song, and I don’t know if it’s the combination of the childish, playful and almost jingle-like main synth line with a steady disco beat, or just because I got reminded of the awkward little dance Saito performs everytime I listen to the song. Also, it has many catchy moments, such as the lovely “uh uh uh... uh uh uh... uh uh uh, saaaahhh” segments.

As I could see in J-Wiki, the song is a cover of Yosui Inoue’s (井上陽水) song of the same title. The original, which can be heard below, is a rock-oriented piece originally released by him in 1973.


Released in April 1989, “Yume no Naka e” was a #2 hit single for Saito. Lyrics and music were composed by Yosui Inoue, while arrangement was done by Kenjirou Sakiya (崎谷健次郎).

Source: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rfli4Fs2L.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Marcos.

    There was almost something quite Chisato-like about how Inoue's "Yume no Naka e" was re-arranged to become a technopop tune for Saito. Perhaps some of the Inoue purists may have been a bit bemused on this new version but for the younger fans back then, they probably would have enjoyed this version as well as check out the original. I certainly did.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, J-Canuck.

      I must agree with you. Saito's version of "Yume no Naka e" does sound like some Chisato's hits, such as "17-sai" (which, by the way, was released one month after "Yume no Naka e") and almost everything she included in her "Hijitsuryokuha Sengen" album.

      Speaking of Chisato, she did something similar with CAROL's "Funky Monkey Baby" in 1990, ans I liked the result very much. Personally, I'm not against converting classic rock songs into dance numbers, if done right.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Marcos.

      Will definitely have to know more about Chisato's cover of "Funky Monkey Baby"! Hey, as long as the conversion is done well, I'm good with genre crossovers.

      Delete
  2. Ohhh!! I remember this song so much! I don't know the original song, but I really find charming this dancey version. By the way, the album where this tune is included has a very techno/disco sound that blends warmly with the characteristic voice of Yuki. You should listen to "Lucky Dragon", for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this performance of Yume no Naka e by Yuki Saito.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHGmkIBYf8E

    It's translated into sign language, but note the interpreter. Is that Ikue Sakakibara? It certainly looks like her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jim.

      Yep, I've just seen the video and though it certainly looks like Ikue, it isn't her. And the announcer mentioned her name as being Yukiyo (?) Tanaka.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.