Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, August 7, 2026

Cunimondo Takiguchi's Personal Selection for His Top 10 City Pop Albums of the 1980s ~ Part 2

 

Last week, I started posting a 2-parter translation of an article that I'd found in the April 2018 issue of "Record Collectors" titled "Cunimondo Takiguchi ga Erabu Shiteki Hachi-juu Nendai City Pop Best 10"(クニモンド瀧口が選ぶ私的80年代シティポップベスト10). Part 1 contains the Ryusenkei(流線形)leader's first five albums for his Top 10 City Pop list and I'll be wrapping up here with Nos. 6-10. Again, although he doesn't go into great detail about his choices, I will still leave what he said about each one. One more point is that except for No. 6, I was able to bring in whole albums for the other entries. (Part 1 of the article is here.)

6. Baker's Shop with Haruko (Kuwana) -- Hot Line (1980)

I got to know Baker's Shop when they performed as Ruriko Ohgami's(大上留利子)backup band on "Yoru no Hit Studio"(夜のヒットスタジオ). I thought that their playing was just so cool and reminiscent of a bunch of foreign studio musicians. It was through my discovery of Haruko's "Akogare no Sundown"(あこがれのSundown)in the 90s that I found out about this album. Their wonderful performance was able to bring back some distant memories to me.

7. Harumi Ohzora -- VIVA (1983)

The tropical impressions I got from the savannah band kayo of "VIVA" led to some exciting metropolitan vibes even within all of that nostalgia. 

8. JADOES -- Free Drink (1987)

I bought "Free Drink" because Toshiki Kadomatsu(角松敏生)was the producer.

9. Toshiki Kadomatsu -- Gold Digger ~ with true love ~ (1985)

As for "Gold Digger", my buddies and I sang "Tokyo Tower" while driving through Roppongi back in our high school days. We really got that urban vibe.

10. Kyosuke Kusunoki -- Just Tonight (1985)


The AOR and soul here felt just right and I couldn't get enough of its urbaneness. Hiroshi Narumi's(鳴海博)guitar and arrangement were the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.