Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, July 31, 2026

Cunimondo Takiguchi's Personal Selection for His Top 10 City Pop Albums of the 1980s ~ Part 1

 

Over the past few years, it's become fairly regular for me to wait in hospitals and clinics while my folks and myself go through various medical procedures. And as such, I bring a book along to wile away the time. A few weeks ago, I brought the above tome called the April 2018 edition of "Record Collectors" which was focusing on the City Pop singles and albums from 1980 to 1989.

Well on Page 47, there was an article with the title "Cunimondo Takiguchi ga Erabu Shiteki Hachi-juu Nendai City Pop Best 10"(クニモンド瀧口が選ぶ私的80年代シティポップベスト10)which has been translated into the title on the above byline. Now, Takiguchi is the leader of the band Ryusenkei(流線形), one of the groups that spearheaded a new version of City Pop going into the 21st century although he has gone on record to state that he doesn't particularly want that exact label applied to his work since City Pop is a musical phenomenon of past decades; he would prefer that his discography and those of other similarly-minded contemporary musicians be called urban contemporary. I respect his opinion but I also have my own on the reach of City Pop throughout the past few decades and I feel that City Pop never really died out even when the Bubble Era collapsed at the turn of the decade from the 80s into the 90s so I have continued to use the label to categorize songs by Ryusenkei, Kirinji(キリンジ)and Suchmos, etc.

But in any case, I have here Part 1 of his list of those City Pop albums from the 1980s that he has enjoyed starting from 1 to 5. The latter half of the selection will be posted next week. I have also included the comments that he stated in the article for each album. For the last couple of entries, I wasn't able to find a full album.

1. Tatsuro Yamashita -- For You (1982)

When I was a junior high school sophomore, one summer, my three buddies and I listened to "Futari" on the Walkman from the veranda of an Atami cottage while looking at the night sky. We were so moved as we each had a turn listening to it and the memory has lasted as a formative experience in City Pop for me.

2. Hiroshi Sato -- Awakening (1982)

For the wonderful keyboardist, Hiroshi Sato(佐藤博), who had his input on that Yamashita album, I took another look at his "Awakening" in my thirties and it became one of my most favourite albums. He once gave me an interview and though I was nervous, he was kind enough to give me two hours of his time which was a happy memory.

3. Makoto Matsushita -- First Light (1981)

Going back from Matsushita's(松下誠)days with AB's, the original jacket from "First Light" struck me as something that was so cool. The refined chord progressions and arrangement along with Matsushita's not-overly-polished vocals were very comfortable to hear.

4. Izumi Kobayashi -- Coconuts High (1981)

I got into "Coconuts High" through the soundtrack she provided to "Urusei Yatsura"(うる星やつら), and those tropical songs contained the Latin rhythms and her light and cute vocals which harmonized just right with those muscular synths.

5. Junko Ohashi -- Point Zero (1983)


I fell in love with "Tasogare My Love"(たそがれマイ・ラブ) when I was in elementary school. I got to know her cool and groovy side when I listened to "Point Zero" in my twenties. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, J-Canuck this question is kind of off subject but I am curious being that you are in Toronto where are you getting such great literature on Japanese music? Is there a good Japanese book store or seller there, or are you having these books imported? I guess Amazon and Rakuten would have such books and be able to deliver them to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your final statement hit the nail on the head. Amazon and other sites such as CD Japan have such books. In the case of "Record Collectors", though, I've been fortunate to have my good friend JTM send over these books and journals now and then.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.