Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, August 3, 2026

Yukiko Haneda -- Milky Way

By Kristian Pikner via Wikimedia Commons

 

Well, now that we're in early August 2026, I might be introducing this song a month late. After all, the Tanabata festival is an early July event in Japan. But still...better late than never.

Yukiko Haneda(羽根田征子)is a singer that I first introduced back in 2020. The reason I found out about her was due to her 1989 cover of the late great Hiroshi Sato's(佐藤博)"It Isn't Easy" from his 1982 "Awakening" album. That particular cover can be found on Haneda's 2nd album "Sora", which was produced by Sato. I've also found another really pleasant track from that one, and it's called "Milky Way". Again composed by Sato and written by Yui Masaki(真沙木唯), it's an urban and urbane synthpop number with a touch of bossa nova. Haneda's strong and silky vocals are given some backup by Sato himself.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My friend and I were actually talking about the DX-7 a few minutes ago.

      Delete
  2. Hey, J-Canuck you probably know this already but Sendai has their big Tanabata festival from August 6 to 8, even though everyone else celebrates Tanabata in July. So, you are right on time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian. Actually, I didn't know that Sendai had their Tanabata festival this month instead of last month. So, thanks for the information.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.