I recollect that an earlier trailer for "Supergirl" used this particular song to show badass Kara is.
Well, Blondie's "Call Me" was a hit song that I will always associated with the 1980 film "American Gigolo" starring Richard Gere. That's how I first heard about the actor but it wouldn't be until his other big role in "An Officer and a Gentleman" a couple of years later that would be my first Gere film to watch. But I was still struck by the poster of "American Gigolo" and though brand names weren't a thing with me back then, Giorgio Armani was another name that came from my relatively scant knowledge of the movie.
Of course, up to that point, I hadn't known anything about gigolos. All I knew was Fred Garvin: Male Prostitute.
Anyways, Blondie's tough and sultry "Call Me" was released on February 1st 1980 as a single and among the band's singles from that time including "Rapture", it's been the one that I knew or listened to the least for some reason. In fact, I had to listen to it again for the first time in a long time to remember what the whole song sounded like and I'd never seen the official music video until tonight. Of course, the chorus has stayed rent-free in my memories for decades. "Call Me" ended up at the top of America's Billboard chart for six straight weeks, and it also hit the top spot in Canada and the UK.
The closest Oricon chart to the release date of "Call Me" was the one for February 4th. What were the top three singles back then?
1. Crystal King -- Dai Tokai (大都会)
2. Saki Kubota -- Ihojin (異邦人)
3. Off Course -- Sayonara (さよなら)
This is testimony to how big a hit 異邦人 was as it was released on 1 October 1979, but it was still charting and going head to head with newer song that were released in 1980. I haven't gotten a chance to see the new super girl movie yet.
ReplyDeleteHello, Brian. From what I've read and heard, it's probably best to wait until "Supergirl" hits streaming.
Delete