Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Kojiro Shimizu -- Summer of 1985

 

Summer of 1985, eh? Well, I'd just finished my first year at University of Toronto. I don't remember anything about that time aside from a few days working at a restaurant. Less said the better about that experience.

From the sounds of it, singer Kojiro Shimizu(清水宏次朗)probably had a far better time of it during the hot season forty-one years ago. His "Summer of 1985" was the first track on his September 1987 album "$1,000,000 Night" and with that sort of title for an album, he probably had an amazing time that summer. It's a good-time pop and rock tune and when I found out that it was Tetsuro Oda(織田哲郎)who had composed the song, I just went "Ah...naruhodo...". Oda is the master at that sort of sound that brings back nostalgia as much as sunnier days. Ginshiro Akiya(秋谷銀四郎)was responsible for the lyrics. 

Y'know...I don't think the song was ever used as a commercial jingle, but when I hear "Summer of 1985", I get this feeling that it would have been ideal for Pocari Sweat or some sort of isotonic drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.