Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, September 24, 2026

Tsuzuko Sugawara -- Shima wo Deteyuku Katahansen(島を出てゆく片帆船)

 

Kinda going along the Towada photo line that I started with SUPERCAR's "cream soda" a half-hour ago, I've got another photo from Brian Mitchell up above. I don't know what it's showing although the house is pretty fluffy-looking. 

But in comparison with the alternative rock of "cream soda" from the late 1990s, I take you back to the late 1950s and to another person who hails from Towada City in Aomori Prefecture. Tsuzuko Sugawara(菅原都々子), who just celebrated her 99th birthday in August, is someone who already has a presence on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" with her 1955 hit "Tsuki ga Tottemo Aoi Kara"(月がとっても青いから). Tonight though, I offer you her 1957 single "Shima wo Deteyuku Katahansen" (The Single-Sail Boat Leaving the Island). An industriously jaunty yet somewhat bittersweet enka about sweet sorrowful partings, Sugawara's vocals has her singing happily on the outside but crying on the inside as a loved one takes off for other destinations. I'm laying odds that she'll be at the port everyday until his return. The lyrics were by Ryo Inomata(猪又良)and the music was by Akira Mutsu(陸奥明).

2 comments:

  1. The photo is of the 'fat house' and 'fat car' by artist Erwin Wurm https://towadaartcenter.com/en/collection/category/art-square-and-neighborhood-en/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the description of the photograph, Brian.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.