Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, June 5, 2020

Marica Hiraga -- Angel in the Night



Another new find for me here in the form of Marica Hiraga(平賀マリカ), a Tokyo-born jazz singer. According to her website and her J-Wiki page, she graduated from Komazawa University and then trained under the jazz singer Martha Miyake(マーサ三宅)while working in a company. Under Miyake's encouragement, she entered The Amateur Asia Music Festival in 1981 which won her a Gold prize after which Hiraga turned professional.

Interestingly though, her biography and discography make a big leap into the 21st century, and there is no mention of her 1987 album "Kurage"(海月...Jellyfish)under just her first name, Marica. On the Discogs page, "Kurage" is categorized as being "Avant-garde Jazz, Experimental, Leftfield (sic), Post-Punk, Synthpop". Doing this blog has introduced me to a lot of different specialty genres including those in the techno field, but this was the first time I ever heard of Leftfield. In any case, that's quite a mix of genres for one album and I'm now curious what else is on this mystery release. Perhaps the album has been left out on her website since it doesn't really fit into the jazz mold that she represents now.

However, "Angel in the Night", is a smoky evening number that is sung very capably by Marica, and I especially like it when her voice rises up suddenly. It isn't jazz by any means but some very reassuring City Pop for a Friday night.

2 comments:

  1. Hello J-Canuck,

    I just discovered this track on the New J Channel a few days ago. I don't know if this has been something you've been planning for awhile or a happy coincidence.

    I have had the New J Channel in constant rotation for the past week, either at home or on my way to work. Needless to say I have been discovering artists that I've never heard of or, by association with others that I do know.

    I played a game of "Has Kayo Kyoku Plus done an article on this?”

    The answer: I'd say it was a 85/25 split in favor of a review being written.

    If I did search this site for an artist that interested me from the New J Channel and, if it was one of the 25% that was not here, I chalked it up for not being here for various reasons:

    1) You may not have heard of the artists.
    2) You may have heard of the artist but don't have any interest in them or their output.
    3) You have written about them but only in association to other artists you have reviewed.
    4) You have written about them but, give the nature of the business, they are under another name/group (Tan Tan).
    5) Or, like today, you haven't written about them yet.

    Which brings us today's article. I have my little notepad (both app and physical) with a lot of artists and songs that peaked my interest from that channel. I am also wondering if I will get articles on that 25% that may appear in the future. Since NJC (I’m abbreviating the name of the channel) does not have a playlist since it is randomly generated, this is only way I can keep track of the new stuff I am hearing.

    Anyway thanks!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chasing Showa. I'd probably say that all five situations apply here.:) I've often found new songs through New J Channel and the long-defunct City Pop Radio by Van Paugam. When I find a song on NJC that interests me, I automatically jot down the singer and title in the search engine...much of the time, I've hit pay dirt.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.