Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, February 13, 2022

Haruo Oka -- Tokyo Chanson(東京シャンソン)

 

Over the past few days, I've been hearing that the Kanto region including Tokyo was going to get walloped by the white stuff, but it looks like the megalopolis may have avoided a huge snowy bullet according to NHK's report today. I've been informed that Tokyo used to get snow more frequently in decades past, but during my time there, wintry precipitation was quite rare, and in amounts far smaller than what I'm accustomed to here in my native Toronto, even a couple of centimetres of snow would be enough to have Japan Railways go to Red Alert.

As such, I'd been thinking about putting up a meteorologically appropriate song on KKP tonight but I realized that I'd already put up Cheuni's(チェウニ)"Tokyo ni Yuki ga Furu"(Tokyoに雪が降る)a few years ago, and then when I settled for anything on Tokyo, I also found out that I'd also already posted "Tokyo"(東京)by the folk trio My Pace(マイ・ペース)back in 2018.

Well, then I decided to punch into the Yahoo.jp search engine anything to do with Tokyo-based kayo. I did receive a number of results, one of which was Haruo Oka's(岡晴夫)"Tokyo Chanson". Good choice there, too, since Oka has provided some songs regarding my old stomping grounds such as "Tokyo no Hanauri Musume"(東京の花売娘)and "Tokyo no Sora, Aoi Sora"(東京の空青い空).

Not sure whether I would place "Tokyo Chanson", which was an October 1947 single by Oka, as an actual chanson, although admittedly my knowledge on the melodic style of the French musical genre is extremely limited. It is a gently upbeat kayo though as Oka sings about seeing the girl of his dreams at some stage play for the first time. I'm wondering whether he was watching a Takarazuka Revue performance since I believe the nationally famous all-women troupe has come up with musicals set in France, and the title is, after all, "Tokyo Chanson". Anyways, Shizuo Yoshikawa(吉川静夫)and Gento Uehara(上原げんと)were responsible for words and music respectively. Additionally, I also hope that Kanto residents are doing their best with the storm; as someone who has also gone through one of the Top 10 most powerful snowstorms in Toronto's history almost a month ago, I do feel their pain.

1 comment:

  1. Morning, Brian. That was the exact attitude that I had when that blizzard touched down here about 3 weeks ago. We would have been more than happy to share the snow with Vancouver but they've been getting hammered with it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.