Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, February 11, 2022

Masahiro Taniguchi -- Wakakusa no Moeru koro(若草の萌える頃)

 

Welcome to another end of the business week. It's been balmy here in the Greater Toronto Area for the past few days and I don't think anyone is complaining although the streets are slightly slippery due to the thaw.

The other thing that's been slipping is my memory since the fellow that I am about to write about is someone that I'd thought was appearing on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" for the first time. However, I'm a tad embarrassed to admit that bassist/singer Masahiro Taniguchi(谷口雅洋)has had his debut on our humble blog since last August as a songwriter for MIO's "Mr. Monday Morning". In the article, I even made some reference to the song that is getting its just dues right here right now. Will need a Gibbs slap.

Anyways, this is "Wakakusa no Moeru koro" (When Young Grass Sprouts) which is an odd title for what I think is a very pure City Pop song. The third track from his 1980 debut album "Communication"(コミュニケーション), I don't know the botanical significance of the song but it is a classy hotel bar-friendly tune that was composed by Taniguchi, written by Keisuke Yamakawa(山川啓介)and arranged by Mitsuo Hagita(萩田光雄). Perhaps the botanicals are the herbs in his cocktail that he's sipping in the bar.

I love the Fender Rhodes, the silky strings, and Taniguchi's vocals which remind me of the voice of Junichi Inagaki(稲垣潤一), another City Pop veteran (for that matter, I also get shades of Hideaki Tokunaga). Just like that setting that I mentioned in the previous paragraph, there is something nice and downtown classy about Hagita's arrangement. And before I forget, I would love to know who's helping with the backup chorus.

Some final trivia about Taniguchi is that he not only hails from Kyoto but he's been going by a different name over the years: Mamoru Taniguchi(谷口守). Not sure if Mamoru is his real name or not but you can take a look at his website to check his credentials out. Also over the decades, along with MIO, he's provided tunes for Hiromi Go(郷ひろみ), Kaori Momoi(桃井かおり)and Mariko Nagai(永井真理子)among other singers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.