Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, February 10, 2022

England Dan & John Ford Coley -- I'd Really Love to See You Tonight

 

I never thought that this particular song would make it into a film but according to its Wikipedia entry, it actually got into a few movies including the 2013 comedy "Anchorman 2". Never saw that one although I did catch the first movie.

This week's ROY article deals with "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight", a soft rock classic from May 1976 that I used to hear over and over on AM radio when I was a teen. It was just too bad that I always had a tough time remembering who sang it because I guess at the time, I wasn't accustomed to hearing a country's name being included in a person's name but indeed the duo is England Dan & John Ford Coley.

The duo had been together for a decade between 1970 and 1980 with their share of singles and albums under their belt, but "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight" is the only one that I remember by them as this calming ballad about giving love a second chance. It's that piano and the strings that make it for me. The song made it to the top of the Adult Contemporary charts in both America and Canada, and though I've heard that covers have been done by no less than Barry Manilow and Ian McShane among others, it'll always be the original by England Dan & John Ford Coley that I come home to. Strangely enough, I found out that an earlier song "Simone" from 1972 became a No. 1 hit in Japan.

According to Showa Pops, these kayo classics were released in May 1976 although at least for one of them, it was more like April.

Minako Yoshida -- Yume de Aetara (夢で逢えたら)


Hi-Fi Set -- Tsumetai Ame (冷たい雨)


Mieko Nishijima -- Ikegami Sen (池上線)

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite songs. I actually picked up "Nights are Forever" from the bargain bin at the record shop a week or two ago. John Ford Coley still tours. We saw him at one of the Yacht Rock shows with Christopher Cross several years ago. It's the only one we went to that didn't have a meet & greet, which was disappointing. I have gotten a few replies from him on Facebook, but I'd have loved to have been able to talk to him in person. One interesting thing about him is that one of the things he's most proud of outside of his music is that he portrayed a murder victim on an episode of "America's Most Wanted." It ended up being one of the fastest captures in the show's history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Scott. It's good to hear that Coley is still out there although Dan Seals passed away many years ago. I remember when he came out with "Bop" the following decade; that is definitely one catchy country pop tune.

      It's nice to know that Coley actually answers fans' queries. Not that easy for celebs to do so.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.