Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, February 18, 2022

Toko Furuuchi -- Ugoku Hodou(動く歩道)

 

On February 21st 2022...so just a few days after this writing, velvet-voiced singer-songwriter Toko Furuuchi(古内東子)will be releasing her newest album, "Taion, Kodou"(体温、鼓動...Body Temperature, Pulsation), exactly 29 years following the release of her very first single, "Hayaku Isoide"(はやくいそいで)in 1993. Being the late bloomer that I am, I found out about Furuuchi a few years later when I was living in Chiba-ken and first heard the wonderful ballad of hers, "Dare Yori Suki Nanoni" (誰より好きなのに)in 1996.

I thought it would be nice then to introduce what seems to be the advance single from "Taion, Kodou", "Ugoku Hodou" (Moving Walkway) to finish off Urban Contemporary Friday on KKP on a very elegant note. And after getting those six CD albums just in the last several days, I'm now gritting my teeth at the temptation of getting this album (and a few more) on the strength of "Ugoku Hodou" which was written and composed by Furuuchi.

Just from remembering Furuuchi's songs in the past, "Ugoku Hodou" has that quintessential feeling of AOR and soul. Basically, I see and hear her as someone akin to Anita Baker in the Quiet Storm vein, although I know that their vocals are very different, but this song also incorporates some pleasant and light piano jazz. Plus, that background chorus which helps launch things really sets the relaxing mood. 

Furuuchi does have that career 30th anniversary coming up. All my congratulations to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.