Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, February 6, 2022

Mitsuyoshi Azuma & The Swinging Boppers -- Yappari Niku wo Kuou(やっぱり肉を食おう)

 


Back on Urban Contemporary Friday on "Kayo Kyoku Plus", I mentioned about the history of hot dogs and Tokyo during my time there via Jun Fukamachi's(深町純)New York City-loving "On The Move". However, the fast food that really took off during the last several years of my life in the Kanto area was the hamburger. I mean, franchises such as McDonalds, Lotteria and Mosburger had always been there but it seems like going into the late 2000s, the independent burger joint was starting to pop here and there like the mushrooms that also popped up on the burgers themselves.

My friends and I checked out a number of those places and one such place was The Great Burger where I took this photo of a fairly sizable Bacon Cheeseburger. That was always the one that I ordered as the test subject for any burger joint. I can't quite remember let alone distinguish the differences in good taste among the burgers at this stage, but I don't ever recall having a bad time at any of them. Another commonality was that each burger came in a cute little paper sleeve so that none of the juices or condiments ended up on fingers which I think is a very Japanese thing; over here, we love getting our hands messy...all the more reason to lick them!😋


Indeed, I am an omnivore. I love my meat but I also learned to love the salad as well during my time in the Kanto. Still, I tend toward the carnivorous side so beef, chicken, pork and fish have always been welcome to drop in my mouth at any time. So, this is the reason that I've started this to segue into "Yappari Niku wo Kuou" (C'mon! Let's Eat Some Meat) by the jump blues and swing band Mitsuyoshi Azuma & The Swinging Boppers(吾妻光良 & The Swinging Boppers).

Back in August last year, I introduced these guys born from an association between a music circle and a modern jazz club at Waseda University in the late 1970s. The topic of that article was the bluesy song devoted to Akihabara and that was found on their third album "Stompin' & Bouncin' ~ The Great Victor Masters 1990-1991" from October 1991. But it looks like over a decade passed before the band's next album came out, "Squeezin' & Blowin'" in February 2002 and "Yappari Niku wo Kuou" is the snazzy tune that starts things off here. Not surprisingly, Azuma gives his level best in expressing everyone's love for the protein in any form. It just all reminds me of that swing revival period that included bands like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and the Squirrel Nut Zippers.


These are not The Swinging Boppers but the Manpuku Ryodan(満福旅団...The Manpuku Brigade) doing a smoking fun cover of "Yappari Niku wo Kuou" via uploader shion3627.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.