Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, February 28, 2022

Denki Groove -- Edisonden(エジソン電)


Now, why did I put up this photo of me cooking up a big thick slab of unagi in my frypan in my old Ichikawa apartment? No particular reason, but it was tasty with rice that night.

Just the prologue that I needed to introduce this totally bonkers song by techno unit Denki Groove(電気グルーヴ). Even for a Denki Groove tune, "Edisonden" (Edison Power) comes down as a truly nonsensical seven minutes of electronic pleasure. A track from their 8th original CD album in February 2000, "VOXXX", this whole attempt at incorporating a bit of Dadaism into your listening day was created by the band and DJ Tasaka, and rumour has it that at least some radio stations refused to play it on air lest they unnerve too many of their listeners. 

Yeah, I have to admit that it's tremendously weird but "Edisonden" to me sounds more like a song that was whipped up after Takkyu Ishino(石野卓球)and Pierre Taki(ピエール瀧)had gone on a major bender through Roppongi and improbably made it back to the studio to have a bit of insane sampling fun. The song seems to be centered around what sounds like either a Bollywood soundtrack or a kayo orchestra on an ancient television variety show. The site Boshi/Jusei has its own explanation for "Edisonden" along with the translation of the lyrics, and nope, they lost me at Momoko Kikuchi(菊池桃子). As for "VOXXX", it hit No. 5 on Oricon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.