Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Monday, February 28, 2022

Yuma Nakamura -- Dang Dang Ki ni Naru(Dang Dang 気になる)

 

As I've pointed out over the years, inside and outside of the blog, the Japanese are absolute foodies to join their brethren in places like America and the UK. One can throw a proverbial rock in the broadcast media zeitgeist and in all likelihood, it'll hit a cooking show or a program which is displaying a food-based segment. There are magazines that focus on a certain dish or drink such as ramen or coffee. And of course, there have been anime that have been based on food in general. For example, one such show that I've enjoyed is "Koufuku Graffiti" (幸腹グラフィティ...Gourmet Graffiti).


I never saw the anime but I have sometimes read the originating manga "Oishinbo"(美味しんぼ...The Gourmet) in a barber shop or two when I was living in Japan. The manga debuted in 1983 with the anime coming out in 1988, lasting for a few years. Premise-wise, it's all about the adventures of blasé but very knowledgeable culinary journalist Shiro Yamaoka and his partner, in work and then in life, Yuko Kurita, as they encounter all sorts of gourmet mayhem.


As I mentioned, I never caught the show but yesterday as I was continuing through the massive compilation album of Tetsuji Hayashi's(林哲司)works, thanks to JTM's generous gift, I did hear one of his compositions which was the second opening theme for "Oishinbo", "Dang Dang Ki ni Naru" (Bang Bang I'm Into You) by aidoru Yuma Nakamura(中村由真).

Released as her 9th single in June 1989, I was surprised that I had yet to have a Yuma Nakamura article on KKP. I guess that I assumed that she was on the blog because so many of her fellow "Sukeban Deka" 『スケバン刑事』sisters already had representation here. In any case, it's quite the sprightly theme song for a food anime with the synths in there. And if I'm not mistaken, those synths are giving out a slight House beat. I also have to give my compliments to the opening credits since they present a gorgeous vista of Tokyo, much like how "City Hunter" did while "City Hunter: Ai yo Kienai de" (愛よ消えないで)was playing.

Along with Hayashi's contributions, Masao Urino(売野政男)provided the lyrics while Motoki Funayama(船山基紀)arranged everything. It peaked at No. 17 on Oricon. From what I've read, Nakamura moved to live in Los Angeles in 2005 before making another move to Austin, Texas around 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.