Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, April 20, 2023

Dionne Mitsuoka -- Chotto Matte Kudasai(ちょっと待って下さい)

 

I've mentioned this before in a very few articles on KKP in the past but when I was on my JET stint in Gunma Prefecture between 1989 and 1991, I remember watching "MTV Japan" past the midnight hour on Saturday mornings on TBS. At the time, it was pretty much my only source of catching J-Pop music videos since on those prime-time music programs, the acts showed up to perform live. I never caught too much of the original MTV with those day-glo VJs but "MTV Japan" was a much more staid affair only showing a few hours each week in a relatively dimly-lit studio with a couple of button-down hosts, music critic and producer Kenta Hagiwara(萩原健太)and TV/radio personality Dionne Mitsuoka(光岡ディオン). In between videos, the two would interview folks in the music industry.

What I hadn't known was that Mitsuoka did put out at least one album titled "Aquarium" in June 1991. One track I've found there was "Chotte Matte Kudasai" (Please Wait A Moment) which was created by Loyal E. Carner and Jeanne Nakashima. It was also produced by Mitsuoka's co-host Hagiwara. "Chotto Matte Kudasai" is a bossa nova-infused ballad that's reminiscent of those breezy 60s girl pop tunes and I got some vibes of early Anne Lewis while listening to Mitsuoka's girlish vocals.

I'd completely forgotten that Mitsuoka had married THE BOOM's Kazufumi Miyazawa (宮沢和史) in 1994. The two of them have a son, actor and fashion model Hio Miyazawa(宮沢氷魚).

P.S. Blast my aging memory! The song is much older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.