Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Hitomi Aki -- Summer Melancholy(サマー・メランコリー)

 

As I've said before, coffee connoisseurs will probably shoot at this drink with a Magnum .357 since Georgia's Max Coffee is basically liquid coffee sugar. And I loved it, especially during those torrid summer months in Japan. I'm talking about summer today despite it being still April because we just got a rare early taste of the hot season (which will continue for at least one more day) with a record-breaking high of 26 degrees Celsius. The T-shirt and shorts were on and I need to have the electric fan at my back as I'm typing this.

I've had a store of summer kayo ready to go when the official start of summer comes in a couple of months, but I think I can spare one to commemorate the warm day today. Late 1970s aidoru Hitomi Aki(秋ひとみ)already has one song up here on KKP and to join it, I have her 4th single from July 1979, "Summer Melancholy". A pretty refined aidoru tune with a bit of metropolitan Latin spice along the lines of Junko Yagami's(八神純子)"Omoide no Screen" (思い出のスクリーン)although "Summer Melancholy" hews a bit closer to the conventional kayo rather than New Music.

The polish on this one may be due to not only the songwriters consisting of lyricist Masako Arikawa(有川正沙子)and composer/arranger Tsugutoshi Goto(後藤次利), but also to the guys in the recording studio behind Aki such as Goto himself on the bass, Masaki Matsubara(松原正樹)on the electric guitar and the late Ryuichi Sakamoto(坂本龍一)on the synthesizer. The story in this one isn't a new one; it goes into a lady's thoughts after sadly getting out of a love triangle following a torrid love affair. Have your sangria with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.