Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, April 15, 2023

Gosanke Imagined: Vocal Group Gosanke

 

One of the first things that I realized when I started to explore kayo kyoku from the early 1980s was that there were vocal groups that struck me as being quite similar in tone to The Manhattan Transfer, a group that had already entered my mind with their music of jazz and contemporary pop stylings. Some Japanese folks did love their harmonies, I surmised. 

As far as I can see, there was never a Gosanke(御三家)created in the media about vocal groups although I think that it would have been pretty easy to concoct one considering that both Hi-Fi Set(ハイファイセット)and Circus(サーカス)had their heyday in the 1970s and 1980s. I discovered those two groups from "Sounds of Japan" episodes a few decades ago, but the quartet SOAP was an act that I found out about in the years of doing this blog, so once again thank you KKP!

Hi-Fi Set -- Koi no Nikki (恋の日記)


Circus -- Mr. Summertime


SOAP -- Shinjuku Transfer(新宿トランスファー)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.