Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, April 21, 2023

Kaoru Akimoto -- Kyou wa Hitorikiri(今日はひとりきり)

From Amazon.jp
 

It's been almost seven years since I featured any of the tracks on Kaoru Akimoto's(秋元薫)1986 "Cologne", probably seen as one of the pillars for City Pop collectors thanks to "Dress Down". I've already got that covered along with "Narcissist" (ナルシスト).

"Kyou wa Hitorikiri" (Just Me Today) is a track from Side B of the original LP and it's a slightly more contemplative but no less groovy song. Written by Akimoto and composed by Kenjiro Sakiya(崎谷健次郎), I do love the thrumming from the bass synth and the measured pacing of the tune. It's just like a solo stroll in the city on a Sunday evening. 

There are still seven more tracks on "Cologne". I'll have to see about finishing off the rest of the album in one fell swoop soon enough. I'm just realizing that I covered "Dress Down" a few years before the whole City Pop boom around the world started up. Quite ironic considering that I've always considered myself a late bloomer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.