Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Sunday, April 9, 2023

PSY-S -- Chasing the Rainbow

 

After listening to this song, I couldn't help but reminded of those bizarre Skittles commercials exhorting us to discover and taste rainbows. Despite their demands, I never gave into them and so I didn't become a Skittles fan.

However, I am much more amenable to chasing rainbows on listening to "Chasing the Rainbow" by 80s technopop duo PSY-S. I realize that there are quite a few non-single tracks from Mami "Chaka" Yasunori(安則眞実)and Masaya Matsuura's(松浦雅也)discography that I have yet to explore so it's great to come across a new song this late into the 21st century. 

Written by Chaka and composed by Matsuura, "Chasing the Rainbow" is another appealingly quirky tune with all of the bloops and snaps paired with Chaka's child-like vocals. It's quite intrepid sounding for the lack of a better description so its matching with scenes of the 2001 anime adaptation of Osamu Tezuka's(手塚治虫)1949 manga "Metropolis" makes for a good fit, oddly enough. Besides I've had a passing interesting in architecture pertaining to Steampunk, Decopunk and Dieselpunk so the YouTube video by MINA Mirage has been a treat for eyes and ears. "Chasing the Rainbow" was a B-side for PSY-S' 3rd single "Another Diary" from March 1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.