Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, April 14, 2023

Mariko Takahashi -- Oide Summer Holiday(おいでサマー・ホリディ)

 

Wouldn't mind heading back to Tokyo for a summer vacation this year but I have a certain "allergy" against oppressive heat and humidity, and my old stomping grounds always bring out an excess of it. Of course, there are plenty of vending machines and cafés to rescue my thirst but I know that having been out of summery Tokyo for over a decade, I'd probably melt on the pavement somewhere and end up burning a hole in my wallet.


Living there in the 90s, the 00s and a sliver of the 10s, I wasn't one who looked forward to summer but I know that there were others who were absolutely begging for the hot season. And therefore, I'm bringing out Mariko Takahashi's(高橋真梨子)"Oide Summer Holiday" (Come Over Here, Summer Holiday) from her March 1979 solo debut album "Hitoaruki"(ひとりあるき...Walking Alone). Written by Machiko Ryu(竜真知子)and composed by Yasuhiro Kido(木戸やすひろ), it's a nice and light New Music/City Pop tune about a couple enjoying themselves thoroughly and anticipating some vacation time in the Caribbean. I've got a feeling that the Caribbean is less stifling than Tokyo in the summer.

Takahashi had been with multi-genre group Pedro & Capricious(ペドロ&カプリシャス)for several years in the 1970s and I mostly saw her as a folk vocalist, so it must have been quite a turn for her and her fans with something like "Oide Summer Holiday" with a bit of that disco bop and even an echo of "The Theme From 'A Summer Place'".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.