Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Seatbelts -- Goodnight Julia

 

Sheepishly, I still have to admit that I have yet to watch the original anime "Cowboy Bebop" which has been compared to pure art, especially with all of that music connected to it such as the iconic "Tank!". And I'm also a jazz fan, so I should have already dove into the series but I guess I'm still the guy outside looking in.

Maybe I ought to head over to a lonesome alley bar at night and drown my sorrows for a while, although I'm unsure what the reaction would be there if I made a request for a Brown Cow. Hey, I'd still take the chance if the watering hole had music that I've just heard above. It's a beautiful jazz blues piece by producer Yoko Kanno's(菅野よう子)Seatbelts that adorned part of Episode 12 titled "Jupiter Jazz (Part 1)" when it was first broadcast in 1999.

The short piece would ultimately find its way to the June 2001 mini-album "Cowgirl Ed" where it started things off. "Goodnight Julia" refers to an old flame of Spike who pays a price for her sporadic contacts with him, and whether or not Spike did survive the final battle, I could imagine him slinking into a down-and-out bar to drink himself into a bottle while this song is playing. It's a wistful number that would be welcome on any soundtrack for an old fashioned film noir. Y'know, I think that I really ought to try a scotch with his one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.