Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Tatsuro Yamashita -- Ashioto(あしおと)

 

It's an occupational hazard but it's been the case with a lot of the singers and/or songwriters over the years on "Kayo Kyoku Plus", but their files have been so long that I've forgotten at times whether I actually included a certain song of theirs or not. Well, that's the aging process for you.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ehm9q

Case in point: Tatsuro Yamashita(山下達郎). I know that I did put up his 1983 album "Melodies" all the way back up in 2017, but as usual, I didn't throw in the entire track list. So, what I hadn't realized was that I didn't include "Ashioto" (Footsteps) into that article or its own individual article as far as I know. Scrolling up and down the Tats file didn't show me anything of an "Ashioto" which is downright shocking since I've found it to be one of his most amiable tunes.

(fine cover version)

I found out from the translation that I did for one of his recent interviews that the singer-songwriter could have become an astronomer if the singing thing hadn't panned out (and aren't we glad that it did?). However, looking at his most congenial "Ashioto", I think Yamashita could have had a promising career as a scriptwriter for rom-coms. According to the description for "Melodies" up on J-Wiki, he admitted to having a soft spot for all of those shy guys in love with the supposedly unattainable lass with a heart of gold. Well, this was the love song he wrote in tribute to those fellows as he describes a florist quietly swooning over a female office worker who happens to pass by his shop every day after work. And all that is happening over a Chicago soul arrangement. Listeners can only hope that "Ashioto" is merely Episode 1 of a love story that will more or less end happily by the end of Episode 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.