Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 8, 2023

Nobuo Ariga -- Pocket ni Tsumete Jingle Bell(ポケットにつめてジングルベル)

 

The AI art generator was back at work for me. This time, I asked it to create "Japanese City Pop Christmas Anime Style", and I got four different photos of which the above is one. Not too bad...somewhat reminiscent of West Shinjuku, if I say so myself.

As has been made painfully and especially evident over the past several weeks, a number of notable figures in the Japanese music industry have sadly died this year. We can even go back to the early part of 2023 on hearing that singer-songwriter Nobuo Ariga(有賀啓雄)passed away at the relatively young age of 58.

I did find a tune of his that could satisfy both the Xmas, City Pop and maybe even technopop realms. This is "Pocket ni Tsumete Jingle Bell" (Jingle Bells in My Pocket) which was the penultimate track on his first album "Sherbet" released in 1987. Admittedly, I had to raise my eyebrow rather Spock-like on seeing that translation of the title, but Ariga's tribute to the Yuletide is a smokily-delivered and cool-as-menthol song that doesn't go all traditionally bouncily upbeat in the Christmas department. Instead, it's kinda like the feelings between a couple walking hand-in-hand on a snowy December 24th in the metropolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.