Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Pink Sapphire -- Go-banme no Kisetsu(5番目の季節)

 

I was only informed about this just some minutes ago, but one of the commenters let me know in my previous article that the guitarist for the band Pink Sapphire, Takako Suzuki(鈴木孝子), had passed away on December 12th 2023 at the age of 56 from cancer. The commenter left me a Facebook link but I also have a link to "Sports Hochi" which posted the obituary on December 22nd

Over ten years ago, I posted the first Pink Sapphire article on "Kayo Kyoku Plus" to talk about this female rock band that I had first noticed through their music video for the zooming "P.S. I Love You" from over thirty years ago. The song and the band provided me with one of my tentpoles of music during my time on the JET Programme in Gunma Prefecture.

I'd like to then post this coupling song to "P.S. I Love You", "Go-banme no Kisetsu" (The Fifth Season) which was composed by Pink Sapphire bassist Miki Ishida(石田美紀)and written by Yoshiko Miura(三浦徳子)under her pen name of Airin(亜伊林). It's a song of trying to cure oneself of a heartache by finally coming through with those feelings. I'm not 100% on my interpretation of Miura's lyrics but I think the couple involved here had been going through some inevitable sturm und drang before the emotional floodgates finally burst.

My condolences go to Suzuki's family and friends as well as the fans of Pink Sapphire.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Indeed. It's been a poignant year for Japanese musicians leaving us.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.