Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Saturday, December 16, 2023

Bennie K -- Dreamland

 

Several years ago, I posted an article on Bennie K, a pop rap duo consisting of Yuki Yamamoto(山本有希)and Chieko "Cico" Yamamoto(山本知恵子)...no relation with each other by the way...and their big hit "Sunrise" from September 2004. They definitely had their fun in the sun for a while back then and though I'm not a fan of rap, "Sunrise" was catchy enough so that even I ended up purchasing the CD single.

I also noted in that article that there had been another Bennie K song following "Sunrise" that also got a lot of popularity. Well, I finally rediscovered that song and it turned out to be the follow-up to "Sunrise". Yup, it was their 9th single from June 2005, "Dreamland". 

Words and music were by Bennie K, Mine-Chang, Hazzie(ハジ→)and Red Rice from Shonan no Kaze(湘南乃風). As with "Sunrise", "Dreamland" is also a high-energy pop-rap tune that still brings a lot of B-52s "Roam" vibe with it. It would become their biggest hit by peaking at No. 2 on Oricon, breaking the 2-million barrier in terms of ringtones and ending up as the 18th-ranked single for 2005. "Dreamland" also rang a bell with me because it was one of the campaign songs for Coca-Cola commercials.

3 comments:

  1. When I first read this post I thought I did not know any of the song mentioned but after listening to them and the CM I came to the realization that I indeed have heard the songs at least in the back ground of my adventures in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was pretty much the same with me as well when it comes to "Dreamland". It wasn't so catchy that I got the CD but it was still jiggling around in my memories so that I realized it had been used in a commercial.

      Delete
    2. I wonder are any posts on the said phenomenon namely the type of songs that always seem to be in the background or that are just part of the environment as a matter of fact. Here is a bad example but 「おさかな天国」comes to mind as song that most people know even if they do not know the title of the song or the singer.

      Delete

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.