Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, December 28, 2023

Swingout Sister -- Fooled by a Smile

From Good Free Photos
 

Going into the last few days of 2023, we are indeed going to be talking about the "last" of a number of things here, including the final Reminiscings of Youth article for this year.

I've opted for the sophisticated pop of Swingout Sister once more. Earlier this year, I tackled the band's "Twilight World" which went for a more mysterious 60s spy movie feel, but this time around, I'm returning to sunnier climes where they're concerned via their June 1987 single "Fooled by a Smile". Back to that vibe of breezy 60s romantic comedy, "Fooled by a Smile" is another one of my favourites by Corinne Drewery, Andy Connell and Martin Jackson. As I've frequently said, I'm always going to be a sucker for a battery of jazzy horns and Drewery's splendid vocals.

"Fooled by a Smile" only scored on the UK Singles chart at No. 43 and as I recall, I didn't hear much from Swingout Sister after "Twilight World" when I was still at university...which is a pity. I'm hoping that folks afterwards have been able to discover some of the wonders from their later singles and albums.

For this final ROY of 2023, what was also coming out in Japan as singles in June 1987?

Yoko Oginome -- Sayonara no Kajitsutachi (さよならの果実たち)


Teresa Teng -- Wakare no Yokan (別れの予感)


Shonentai -- Kimi Dake ni (君だけに)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.