Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Kohmi Hirose -- Frosty the Snowman

 

I have to be honest here...I still get pretty verklempt whenever I see that scene in the late 1960s cartoon "Frosty the Snowman" narrated by Jimmy Durante when Frosty seemingly heads for that snowfield in the sky, only to return several seconds later. I'm rather glad then that these old cartoons don't really show up on television in front of my family anymore since I don't think my excuse of "Pardon me...I've got something in my eye" and heading quickly to the washroom will pass muster with anyone in my group. 😭 Anyways, I'm glad that the Walter Rollins and Steve Nelson song from 1950 is still upbeat as all get out for a Xmas tune. 

Of course, for a singer-songwriter who's been called the Queen of Winters, it should be natural that high-flying Kohmi Hirose(広瀬香美)has covered the Xmas circuit. She covered and collaborated on a version of a J-Xmas classic "Christmas Carol no Koro ni wa"(クリスマスキャロルの頃には)with original singer Junichi Inagaki(稲垣潤一)back in 2009, and then in November 2011, she released her own Xmas album "Love X'mas" which also served as one of two albums that year to commemorate her 20th anniversary since her debut.

With "Frosty the Snowman", she opted for the scat a capella route, and apparently Michael Jackson did a cameo...nope, just joking there. 😊 But I have to say that there are parts in the song where I swear that she sounds a bit like young Jackson 5-era Mikey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.