Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, December 8, 2022

Ayano Kaneko -- Romance Sengen(ロマンス宣言)

 

Ayano Kaneko(カネコアヤノ)is a singer-songwriter, actress and model who hails from Yokohama, and ironically, she was raised in a household that didn't listen to much music. However, from her senior year of junior high school, she took up the guitar after being inspired by the band Chatmonchy(チャットモンチー)and then got into the indies scene in Shinjuku and the bohemian area of Shimo-Kitazawa. She would get further inspiration by artists such as Happy End(はっぴいえんど), Jun Togawa(戸川純), and Masamune Kusano(草野正宗)of the band Spitz(スピッツ).

Beginning her own career just before she turned 20 in 2012, Kaneko covers the genres of indies rock and Neo-Folk, according to J-Wiki. And from her April 2018 3rd album, "Shukusai"(祝祭...Festival), I give you "Romance Sengen" (Romance Proclamation). The first thing is that I really like her girlish and smooth voice which differs from some of those vocals that I've heard from other female rock singers; obviously I have no problems with the growls of Ringo Shiina(椎名林檎)and the rasp of Yuki Katsuragi(葛城ユキ), but it's also refreshing to hear someone like Kaneko as well.

Another thing I like is the music which reminds me somewhat of surf rock and rockabilly. My mind keeps referring back to the Ventures' "Walk, Don't Run" as I listen to "Romance Sengen". Interestingly enough, she was doing a fair bit of running instead of walking in the music video, so I gather that I have to give my "o-tsukare sama" to the production staff as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.