Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 23, 2022

Yuki Saito -- Christmas Night

 

Did forget to mention that along with all of the meteorological sturm und drang in our province right now, Japan has been getting swamped with heavy snow all over the place, especially Niigata Prefecture, so I definitely would like to send out my sympathies to all those affected there.


One thing that is still on my wish list of things to do is visit the community of Unionville just north of Toronto since it has an annual Christmas market that is probably getting back in gear after a couple of years of the pandemic. I was in Unionville back about 20 years ago when my brother got married so there were some photos taken in the scenic area, but I've never been there during the Yuletide season. My impression is that nights during that time there are pretty much Christmas Eve every night (it's just too bad that the above video by Lvfree Adventures only has daytime footage of Unionville).


Again, I've never been to Unionville during late December evenings so I don't know what it's really like, but I get my own impressions of them when I hear Yuki Saito's(斉藤由貴)"Christmas Night", her 12th single released in November 1988. Her whispery voice and the delicate arrangement of Akira Okamoto's(岡本朗)melody paint that mood of a hushed snowy night of the Holidays when a couple realizes their love for each other. It's a tad strange though that the music gets a bit eerie in the middle for some reason.

"Christmas Night" reached No. 49 on Oricon and it was also a track on Saito's 6th studio album "PANT" which was actually released earlier in March 1988 with a No. 4 ranking on Oricon. I've got no idea why an album would be called "PANT" except that the producers caught a glimpse of an overly warm dog. Now as for Akira Okamoto, he was once known as Issei Okamoto(岡本一生), a person who had his own dalliances in the City Pop field.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.