Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Thursday, December 29, 2022

Yogee New Waves -- Fantasic Show

 

During my one-and-only year taking Linguistics at University of Toronto, I was told by my lecturer that language has always been changing, is always changing and will always be changing. He gave the one example of the word "milk" and said that in all likelihood, within a few hundred years, it will sound more like "mik" or even "miwk". I guess that our descendants will have to prepare for the funeral of [l].

I was reminded of this example when I first read the title of "Fantasic Show". Perhaps the rock band Yogee New Waves is trying to tell us the fate of one of those middle [t]s in a few hundred years. After all, one of the other things that I learned in Linguistics is that the mouth will always try to go the way of least resistance when it comes to basic pronunciation. 

But until we get further confirmation, I will simply accept it as a cute title for the band's debut single in February 2015. I wrote about Yogee New Waves for the first time back this August when I heard about their City Pop love through their cover of Sugar Babe's classic "Downtown". Yup, with "Fantasic Show", which was written and composed by vocalist Kengo Kakudate(角舘健悟), some of that sunny Sugar Babe New Music filters through here, too. However, that languid and bluesy guitar opening along with Kakudate's vocal style had me additionally thinking whether Yogee New Waves was introducing themselves with a good dollop of Original Love from the 1990s (hmmm...association between Original Love and Sugar Babe? Discuss.).

As for the lyrics, it seems as if Kakudate is desperately trying to get a date with a young woman that he has eyes for. He's promising a truly fantastic time although his English will get some stares. I don't foresee anything ominous about the hookup, though. Most likely, the two will end up at a Royal Host and share a mikshake.🥛Sorry, I couldn't find an icon for "milkshake".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.