Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Tuesday, December 27, 2022

T Jiros -- Kore Sae Areba(これさえあれば)

 

I think that one of the more interesting acts that premiered on NHK's "Uta Con"(うたコン)this past year has been the duo T Jiros(T字路s)consisting of vocalist/guitarist Taeko Ito(伊東妙子)and bassist Tomohito Shinoda(篠田智仁). Formed in 2010, unfortunately I don't remember exactly what they performed on the show, but because of that appearance, I looked them up on J-Wiki and then their website. However, their style is memorable since T Jiros shows off some old-style American blues (maybe Delta blues?) and folk (plus, their style of dress also reflects a time many decades past). In particular, Ito's voice has been compared to that of the late Howlin' Wolf, although when I myself first heard her, Tom Waits came to my mind.

From their June 2013 3rd mini-album "Kore Sae Areba" (If I Only Had This), I give you the title track. It's been a while since I heard them, so hearing Ito tackle this amiable and jaunty tune, I was still struck by that really gravelly voice of hers. I mentioned above that T Jiros has that old-fashioned style, and yet, I remember when there were certain acts in the early 1970s on radio which had that similar approach to their music.

Along with their three mini-albums, T Jiros has released four full albums and a couple of albums filled with cover tunes that have come out this year. Three analog singles and three digital singles have also been released.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.