Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 2, 2022

Keiko Maruyama -- Budou Roman(葡萄ロマン)

 

In the previous article, I described Yoshitaka Mihara's(三原善隆)"Urban Night Cruisin'" as being comparable to some of Henry Mancini's works. Well, when I think of the great composer and conductor vis-à-vis kayo kyoku, I invariably come up with the singer-songwriter Keiko Maruyama(丸山圭子). Specifically, my memories go to her most well-known song, "Douzo Kono Mama" (どうぞこのまま)in 1976.

Well, welcome back to the blog, Keiko Maruyama! It's been a while. From her March 1983 album "Dareka ga Watashi wo Aishiteru ~ LADY GOOD"(誰かが私を愛してる〜LADY GOOD...Someone Loves Me), I offer "Budou Roman" (Grape Story). I'm going to be a little existential here and connect the story with "Urban Night Cruisin'" to this one. After that late-night City Pop drive through Tokyo as part of the tour, we head back to the hotel and there's a nightcap held with "Budou Roman" being the musical accompaniment. 

As would be the case with Maruyama's melody, it's all relaxing and boozy, and if I have her lyrics correctly, the singer is comparing the path of grape to wine as similar to that of a blossoming relationship. Going back to that nightcap, I will leave it in the hands of you good viewers as to what will happen afterwards. "Budou Roman" can be a good song for that, too. 😏

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.