Credits

I would like to give credit where credit is due. Videos are from YouTube and other sources such as NicoNico while Oricon rankings and other information are translated from the Japanese Wikipedia unless noted.

Friday, December 23, 2022

Toshiki Kadomatsu -- Space Scraper

 

Folks who are trying to get on their way to their tropical getaways down south today might be going through the gauntlet due to today's Snowmageddon at the airports. Personally, I will never approach Pearson International during this time because of the chaos during a regular weather day in December. I can't even imagine what it's like there now.

Of course, in happier climes and times, it was all about hitting the airport just before the weekend to get that quick two-night stay in some tropical resort. Haneda Airport in Tokyo has been perfect for that; once the office workers are done for a Friday, they pick up their bags, head to the airport, get on that plane for Saipan, enjoy the good life and head back for work again on the Monday.

But back in April 1982 when Toshiki Kadomatsu(角松敏生)came up with his second album "Weekend Fly to the Sun", I think that Haneda's cachet was heading downwards due to the then-rising star of Narita Airport out in Chiba Prefecture. So, perhaps along with Kadomatsu's labels of singer-songwriter, musician and producer, prognosticator could be added. 

"Weekend Fly to the Sun" had that concept of enjoying the weekend holiday, and though I haven't written about the album in its entirety, I have given my articles on at least a few of the tracks including "Brunch". Well, after "Brunch" is "Space Scraper", a good old disco stomp with that wonderfully beefy bass. Considering its position in the album, I think that it's probably Saturday afternoon when "Space Scraper" is taking place, and the holiday folks are trying out some parasailing from what I gather from Kadomatsu's lyrics whose translation is at Lyrics Translate. Parasailing was developed only in the late 1970s according to Wikipedia, so I can only say that Kadomatsu was really on top of his prognosticating game.

Wow! Knock on wood, but I managed to get my Friday four in while the power is still on here. But still, I would prefer for the power to last through this storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to provide any comments (pro or con). Just be civil about it.